Saturday, January 06, 2007

Mooncasting: First mechanics!


Joy!

Just before I pop out of town for a week's holiday, I get to spend a day on my own toys. Life is good.

So I'm motoring along on this Mooncast project. Since the last post on the subject, I've written most of the main mechanics. The video illustrates the following:

* Buildings UI.
* Castle spawning plebs (here cheated to take no time for speed of demonstration).
* Plebs being reassigned to different buildings.
* Effect of staffing on the firing speed of cannons.
* Effect on fog of sending out scouts from the aviary.
* Blowing enemy buildings up!

Next task is to spend some time on the flow, i.e. start screen, begin, middle, end. Need to pay particular attention to the progress reporting while in game. I reckon that the right side of the screen will have mini icons for enemy buildings that have been spotted and nuked.

A note on the XNA so far: still loving it. Nothing has gotten in the way, and C# continues to be lovingly supportive. There are quite a few omissions in the XNA libs, but compared to all that has come before, this is a massive step forward.

Oh! And note: the music in the background of the video is the most excellent "One Thousand Tears of A Tarantula" by Dengue Fever. Absolutely music to code by.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely video, the game looks like great fun.
JB

Gamey Little Hacker said...

Why, thank you. I've shelved it for the time being. I got to the point where I'd have to start working on AI and got a little uninspired.

It's not dead though, just waiting up on the shelf with the others for a flash of inspiration while I'm off building different toys.