Tuesday, February 20, 2007

RPG Zero: Another Start



So Ultrahead, over at Do as I say, not as I do... in a comment conversation reminded me that I've always wanted to make an RPG. Abandoning all the other toys (I have a habit of doing that), I've decided to embark on the adventure.

When I started writing about game programming here last month, I really did want to practice a little altruism and share some stuff with the community. I'm afraid the vanity levels on this project however, make it wholly unsuitable to share as good practice. The sheer self indulgence in the code should warn people away. I really can't in good conscience recommend anyone learn anything from this... the scripting language is an own rolled, interpreted, prefix notated, reflection driven nightmare for pete's sake!

I would like to share though. So if anyone is interested in watching, I'll post the goings on in my RPG land.

I thank you for your patronage,
GLH.

7 comments:

Ultrahead said...

A really nice start ... for a game that is in square one, the quality of both, the gameplay and graphics, is high ... congrats!

It's amazing to see how much fun the player can get in just one quad of a world ... ;)

Cheers!

Gamey Little Hacker said...

Thanks :)

But that really is just me being easily amused.

I'm going for a Zelda meets shooter hybrid, RPG lite with lots of things going boom. Or, with this art style: kersplodge.

Anonymous said...

Wow, amazing looking work. I absolutely love the visual style.

Anonymous said...

Very cool.

Wanna see more of this action!

:o)

Gamey Little Hacker said...

Thanks guys, and more there is to see now. I hope you continue to enjoy the show.

Anonymous said...

Wow, looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

very nice!

Everyone want to make a rpg of their own.

Well, me too! I made some RPG in flash (as2). I am not satisfied with it, because it is 2d.

Any idea or any tips or advice on where should I start (3d programming)?